As the Philippines is known to be a country of festivals, Pagadian City has always proved that it is. Other than all the festivals known to many tourists such as the Kadayawan in Davao or the Sinulog in Cebu, there are also those that exist in Pagadian that many should witness.
1. Pasalamat Festival – celebrated every third Sunday of January, Pagadian City holds this fiesta as a tribute to its Patron Saint, Sto. Niño or the Holy Child Jesus. From the Filipino word “Pasalamat,” this celebration is a thanksgiving for all the blessings they have received throughout the year.
2. Araw ng Pagadian – celebrated every 21st of June, Pagadian City celebrates the day of its founding as a chartered city. It is a week – long celebration packed with a grandiose anniversary program and a lot of highlighted events.
3. Megayon Festival – another week – long celebration held every 11th to 17th of September, Megayon Festival honors the Subanens, Bangsamoro Muslims, and Christians settling in the province. In Subanen dialect, “megayon” means unity and solidarity. The celebration is a time of showcasing the three special cultural heritage in various ways.
4. Chinese New Year – following the Chinese calendar, the City of Pagadian has been significantly celebrating the Chinese New Year in honor to the local Chinese community which had a great contribution to their local economy.
5. Zamboanga del Sur Anniversary – Pagadian City, as the capital of Zamboanga del Sur, hosts the anniversary of the province on the month of September. This event is notable for its agro – trade exhibits, civic, military parade, cultural presentations and sports events and tournaments.
As many have said, the City of Pagadian is a melting pot of rich cultures. Never has it been questioned as to why and how they have celebrated such events because it is evident that they have so much to celebrate. So if you are planning a trip to the Western Mindanao, be sure to visit Pagadian and be one of the witnesses of these significant events. Surely, this will make all your expenses and time worth it!